What is Kaoshikii?
Kaoshikii means “Dance for mental expansion” and is derived from the sam’skrta word “Kosa” meaning “layer of mind”. It was introduced on September 6, 1978 by spiritually realized teacher Shrii Shrii Anandamurti.
“Human beings suffer from various diseases which create minor obstacles in Sa’dhana’. That is why I have invented the Kaoshikii dance on sixth September to fight against such petty bodily complaints such as liver disease, etc. which cause inconvenience in Sa’dhana’. This dance is the panacea for twenty-two diseases”.
(“Song, Dance and Music” A’nanda Vacana’mrtam IV)
“While dancing Kaoshikii one seeks to establish the link between the microcosm and the Macrocosm. This process is commonly known as Mysticism. Kaoshikii pertains to the innermost self of the individual. The self of the individual is hidden within the innermost Kos’as, the layers of existence. Kaoshikii Dance is like the blossoming of the innermost self”.
(Abhimat V, 251)
This yoga dance is comprised of a series of 16 upper body movements danced in rhythm to the chanted mantra of ‘Baba Nam Kevalam’ (meaning “Love is all there is” ). There is also a specific psychic ideation that is chanted with the dance. explained below.
The lower body keeps rhythm by performing the alternating step of Lalita Marmkia.
Lalita Marmika is the name of the spiritual dance of Kiirtan given by Paraviti. You start by taping your right toe behind your left foot and alternating this movement back and forth.
In Kaoshikii you continue this repetition throughout the series ending with a ‘step ball change’ or stomping your left then right foot at the end. (see example below)
*I have heard that in Kaoshikii you stomp with the ball of your foot rather than your big toe and would love to hear feedback anyone has on this detail.*
When teaching this dance I break the movements up into a series of 5/5/3/3/1/1 movements
(slightly different from the example below)
The psychic ideation is as follows
Beginning position : ‘I am now trying to establish a link with Parma Purus’a’ ( Parma Purus’a is sams’krta for cosmic consciousness, the divine, the universe, God…what ever name feels most comfortable to use:)
5/ : “I know how to receive You”
5/ : “I know how to fulfill Your commands”
3/ : “I surrender ”
3/: “And overcome all obstacles”
1/1/ : “Dancing in Your divine grace”
TI have heard many variations on how to say this and found this one flows best for me:)
–If you know the specific ideation Baba gave please let me know:)
Benefits of Kaoshikii :
1. It exercises all the limbs from head to foot.
2. It increases longevity.
3. It makes for easy delivery.
4. The spine will become flexible.
5. Arthritis of the spine, neck, waist will be lost.
6. Gout in the spine, neck, hands and waist will be lost.
7. The mind become strong and sharp.
8. Irregularities in menstruation will be cured.
9. Glandular secretions will become regulated.
10. Troubles in the bladder and urethra will be cured.
11. It gives control over the limbs.
12. It adds charm and shine to the face and skin.
13. It removes wrinkles.
14. It removes lethargy.
15. It cures insomnia.
16. It cures hysteria.
17. Fear complexes will be removed.
18. Hopelessness will be lost.
19. It helps in self expression and develops one’s potentialities.
20. Spinal pain, piles, hernia, hydrocele in men, nervous pain, and nervous disability will be cured.
21.It cures kidney and gall bladder troubles, gastric trouble, dyspepsia, acidity, dysentery, syphilis, gonorrhea, obesity, thinness and liver diseases.
22. It increases the capacity to work until 75 – 80 years of age.
Here is a link to a video I found. I’m sure there is a way to post the video right to my blog but I don’t know how to do that yet:)